[Utnubu-maintainers] DMRAID Naming Convention

D Catch d_catch at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 8 16:39:58 UTC 2007

Please change DMRAID to have a naming convention that makes since.
I need to display a menu of drives to users and there doesn't seem to be a standard to tell a drive from a partition.  I thought if it ended in a digit then it must be a partition, but that's not always the case.  Here's an example:

contents of /dev/mapper directory/dev/mapper:
control
isw_ibacibfhi_SYS_DATA_RAID01isw_ibacibfhi_BACKUP_RAID1
isw_ibacibfhi_SYS_DATA_RAID05isw_ibacibfhi_BACKUP_RAID11
isw_ibacibfhi_SYS_DATA_RAID06isw_ibacibfhi_SYS_DATA_RAID0

How do I know what's what?

In reality you should be changing the /dev/sdx entries to something like /dev/phy_sdx and then creating virtual drives that look lke just normal drives /dev/sda so it's all hidden when presented to the end user.  But anyway...

Thanks!