[Vlosuts-devel] Parsha and Newsletter - October 18 2008 - JDL Canada

Jewish Defence League - Newsletter maillist at jdlcanada.ca
Sat Oct 18 10:13:34 UTC 2008

Become A Member       Donate To The JDL Issue Date: September 27 2008

Main
Parsha of The Week
Notices and Upcoming Events

In a few short days, we will celebrate Rosh Hashanah.  It is a time to be with family and to eat a festive meal.  And the meal begins with selected fruits and vegetables that are used as symbols.  The most popular is the apple dipped in honey with the hope that we will have a sweet year.  And then we eat a pomegranate and hope that our merits will be as numerous as the seeds.  And there are many other symbols for a sweet and successful year.  But.  There is a very important mitzva to observe on Rosh Hashanah which is more important than the meal  and that is to hear the Shofar.
There is the obligation to hear the blasts of the shofar on Rosh Hashanah, customarily blown from the horn of a ram.

The Rambam famously writes that the sound of the shofar beckons to sinners to awaken from their 'spiritual' slumber and their engagement of empty pursuits, to embark upon true repentance (Hilchos Teshuvah 3:4)   The Shofar must remind us of our past.  And how our forefathers risked everything for being a Jew.

The sweetness of the holiday should never blind us to the realities of being a Jew today  There are serious problems of hatred for Jews in Canada and other countries.  Consider the following report:

Anti-Semitic incidents on the rise in Canada: B'nai Brith study
Group notes rise in Quebec incidents during accomodation hearings
Last Updated: Wednesday, April 9, 2008 | 3:24 PM ET
CBC News
The level of reported anti-Semitic incidents is on the rise in Canada, with more than a four-fold increase over the past decade, according to an annual study by B'nai Brith Canada.
In total, 1,042 incidents were reported in 2007, representing an 11.4 per cent increase over incidents in 2006, the group's human rights league said.

The group also highlighted what it said was a disturbing increase in the number of reported incidents on university and college campuses across the country.

The audit reported a 51.9 per cent rise in incidents reported in schools in 2007, as well as a 22 per cent increase in web-based hate activity from the past year.

This year, we will see a major rise in anti Jewish/Israel activities on university and college campuses.  There are plans underway right now, to have a major international conference against Israel at York University in honour of it's 50th aniversity.  Consider the following web site: Israel/Palestine: One State or Two? / June 22-24, 2009 / York ...

The purpose of this conference is to explore whether a two-state solution or a single constitutional democracy in Israel/Palestine offers the most promising path to future peace and security in the region. Despite the current diplomatic focus on the two-state model, the continued failure to bring peace to the region highlights the necessity of rigorously examining all options for a resolution of the conflict, including both two-state and one-state models.

To encourage this analysis, the organizers of this conference have recruited a diverse advisory committee, and will host a conference in Toronto in June 2009. The goal is to discuss the conference's main question about the desirability and the feasibility of both models (one state or two states), and to focus on a wide range of issues pertaining to this topic. These would include, among other relevant topics, possible federal models, democracy and constitutional design, immigration and refugee return policies, resource allocation, gender and nationalism, and the role of religion.

While the political future can be decided only by the peoples of Israel/Palestine in future negotiations, we are convinced that pursuing this visionary exercise is an important part of the ongoing search for justice and peace in the Middle East.

Israel/Palestine: One State or Two? is co-sponsored by Queen's University and York University, and is an official U50 initiative, part of York University's 50th Anniversary celebrations.   One of the participants for this hatefest is a past president of the Canadian Jewish Congress.

We are working now on a program to oppose this hatefest.  The Jewish Defence League will be very active this new year in the streets and on the campus.  As we conclude this year, we the JDL look back with pride at our many successful campaigns.  This is a short list of some of our many activities:

April 29, 2008
Jewish Defence League of Canada exposes intifada plot in Canada and the U.S.A.

March 25, 2008
Jewish Defence League of Canada hosts Israel's Moshe Feiglin

March 5, 2008
Meir Weinstein de la Ligue de défense juive du Canada engage des poursuites contre la Fédération canado-arabe
Meir Weinstein of the Jewish Defence League of Canada sues the Canadian Arab Federation

January 31, 2008
Jewish Defence League of Canada to Confront Terror Support Groups

January 11, 2008
Jewish Defence League of Canada reacts to incitement to murder.

Rosh Hashanah is the Day of Judgment. It is the day of the universe's formation (in the creation of mankind). It is the day where the individual Jew is put under the spotlight.  It is the day where every Jewish individual's fate hangs in the balance – "who will live and who will die".

It is the time of the shofar's piercing sound that has the power to spiritually awaken each of us to consider what are our highest priorities for ourselves, for our children and for the Jewish people. It often means that our value systems have to shift or be reappraised as to where our lives are heading and be in touch with what is really important in life.   And today, we have to be ready mentally and physically to fight back.  And the JDL is ready.  We invite members of the community to come and participate in our security classes which are held every tuesday evening at 7:00 pm.  We also invite members of the community to participate in our weekly ideology classes one evening per week, which will take place after the holidays.  Call our office for details at 416-736-7000 or visit our web site at www.jdlcanada.ca

The role of the JDL is to be the watchmen for the community and to sound the Shofar.  Please, give us your support.

Please send us your comments via email to jdl at jdlcanada.ca

With Love of Israel,

Meir Weinstein  National Director Jewish Defence League of Canada

This newsletter cannot be considered as spam as it contains clear removal instructions. If you no longer wish to receive our mailings along with the parsha of the week please reply to this message and put the word [Remove} without the brackets in the subject line.