[Vmdebootstrap-devel] --grub required, --extlinux not working?

Lars Wirzenius liw at liw.fi
Thu Dec 25 09:20:43 UTC 2014

Hi,

I atttempted to use vmdebootstrap from master of git (commit
857094af5a523d4e746cada537595f849f4281a4), on jessie, and had some
problems.

* I could generate an image that boots under libvirt/kvm, when I used
  --grub explicitly.

* If I used --extlinux instead, or neither option, the image is
  created without problems, but doesn't boot. It fails to load the
  kernel, and possibly the bootloader.

Here's the working config file:

    [config]
    verbose = yes
    image = /big/scratch/liw.img
    size = 2G
    mirror = http://localhost/debian
    distribution = jessie
    enable-dhcp = yes
    hostname = blahblah
    sparse = yes
    grub = yes

Removing the last line (grub), or changing it to say "extlinux = yes",
results in the problem.

I remember asking Neil about these issues before, but I forgot what he
said, and I don't seem to have made a note of it.

Could we please keep it so that a working bootloader is installed by
default (whichever one it is, I don't care as long as it works)? It's
much nicer to the user to not have to specify that kind of option.

--
http://gtdfh.branchable.com/ -- GTD for hackers
http://obnam.org/ -- HAVE YOU BACKED UP TODAY?