[Vmdebootstrap-devel] I'm adopting vmdebootstrap

Iain R. Learmonth irl at debian.org
Mon Sep 5 08:04:03 UTC 2016

Hi All,

On Sun, Sep 04, 2016 at 07:51:07PM +0000, Anders Ingemann wrote:
> > I am aware that there are other tools than vmdebootstrap. The most
> > common other choice seems to be bootstrap-vz. I haven't used it; it's
> > possible that it could be enhanced to replace vmdebootstrap and that
> > my project should thus be dropped. From a cursory skim of the
> > documentation, it seems to not target bare hardware at all, and that's
> > one of the things I need myself. If you have opinions on this, tell
> > me.
>
> I'd like to think that the code quality, maintainability and
> documentation of bootstrap-vz is top notch, which would ease the transition.
> You mentioned hardware support - bootstrap-vz was originally
> intended for virtualized environments, but I have myself been
> close to implementing support for e.g. RaspberryPi mostly because
> I believed it would be pretty easy (though I didn't get around to doing it).
> I think general hardware support would be fairly trivial as well, there
> already is support
> for both grub and extlinux bootloaders. Disks can be partitioned with
> msdos, gpt or not at all.

From the live-wrapper perspective, I believe it to be possible to the
requirements of live-wrapper to be satisfied through the writing of plugins
for bootstrap-vz. I'm not convinced that I would have the time to port
live-wrapper to bootstrap-vz before stretch though.

I could be convinced to take it half way, in that bootstrap-vz can create
the live system squashfs and produce the kernels, with live-wrapper
completing the installer portion and final ISO creation. This would remove
the dependency on vmdeboostrap. (Essentially, I'd want vmdeboostrap
compatibility for the command that I run in live-wrapper from bootstrap-vz).

I believe that bootstrap-vz is probably modular enough that all of the
functionality of live-wrapper could be integrated into bootstrap-vz for
buster.

I'm happy with whichever tool we choose. If we switch I will commit to
removing the dependency on vmdeboostrap from live-wrapper as long as
squashfs production can be implemented by someone else in bootstrap-vz.

Thanks,
Iain.