[Webapps-common-discuss] Several issues

sean finney seanius at debian.org
Sat Sep 8 08:43:17 UTC 2007

hey stephen,

On Saturday 08 September 2007 03:08:00 am Stephen Gran wrote:
> After purposeful file deletion, we are left with an odd failure mode -
> ucf remembers that the file was deleted and refuses to recreate it when
> you add a new webapp to the virthost that you manually deleted.  This
> is probably not the correct behavior, but I'm not sure what the right
> logic to fix it is.  Maybe we need a webapps-common-delete-vhost wrapper
> script of some sort like the a2ensite and a2dissite scripts?

yeah, deleting the file manually will result in problems like that for
anything that's ucf-managed.  maybe we could put a little blurb at the top of
the file with some info about that?  also, i think that eventually wrapper
scripts are the way to go, where various operations done by webapps-common
that also might be useful to a local admin are exported in a sensible way to
cmdline programs.

> Another area is the strangely non-repeatable failure modes of some code
> paths.  Sometimes, for no apparent reason, nothing will happen with
> dpkg -i package-using-webapps-common
> reconfiguring it creates all the apache and webapps-common files, but
> dbconfig common asks about reconfiguring the database, rather than
> configuring, fails to ask for the mysql root password, and does nothing
> silently (this last is presumably a bug in dbconfig-common).

yeah,  i've definitely seen this.  also, i think there's a bug report against
dbconfig-common about the mysql root password during reconfiguration.

> All very odd.  I'm just trying to share my observations of the last day
> or two of using it, so that we have some common place to track issues
> (since it's not in the archive, we can't use the BTS yet).  Even with
> these issues, I think this package is really pretty close to uploadable.
> It's also probably arguably better to get more eyes on it with wider
> testing, so that we get more coherent bug reports than my 'doh, it
> doesn't work' type complaints :)

well perhaps we should send a package to experimental then?

	sean