[Webapps-common-discuss] suphp thing

sean finney seanius at debian.org
Sun Sep 16 22:53:06 UTC 2007

hi guys,

(sorry for the duplicate martin, i accidently sent to you privately instead of
the list :)

On Monday 17 September 2007 12:03:48 am Martin Ambrož wrote:
> > Are you suggesting that each application would have its own user?
>
> Yes, every web application will have own user. I think it's not going to
> break anything, but it's against Debian policy to install all
> applications as root by default. This case should be probably threatened
> differently, let's see what people say on this.

this is a bit problematic though, since debian supports multiple web servers,
not all of which support this suphp mechanism i'm guessing (i'm not horribly
familiar with this, but am assuming it's similar to apache suexec).

ideally though, a package should be able to be changed after installation to
fit with this method (i.e. changing permissions on config files and data
directories via dpkg-statoverride etc).

	sean