[Yaird-devel] Re: Plugins feature for yaird.

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Nov 15 15:07:26 UTC 2005

[thread moved from d-boot and d-kernel @ debian.org]
[including prior speakers until they - maybe - join the new list]

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 02:18:14 +0100
Erik van Konijnenburg <ekonijn at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 11:55:37AM +0100, Marco Amadori wrote:
> > Another question, could you use already setup svn for yaird? there
> > is already a yaird subversion repo in d-i alioth svn.
>
> As Sven noted, that's part of kernel tree; it includes the debian
> parts, not only the core.
>
> At the moment, I'm using TLA for development on a machine behind a
> proxy.

> * I can mirror the TLA history to a public site quickly;
>   this format is designed to make it easy to work in a distributed
> manner: produce patches for dmraid that can be incorporated upstream
> real simple, build adapted versions with bug fixes and debian control
> files. You can start your own archive based on the original; you
> archive will have no limitations that the original doesn't have.
>
> * Migrate to bazaar-ng.  This has the same advantages as TLA,
>   plus the user interface is easier to get started with.
>   It would mean a loss of history though, haven't got the tailor tool
>   working properly.  Plus, it claims to be only a beta, with a format
>   upgrade planned somewhere around 1.0.  And it would take me a bit
> more testing to publish, I haven't studied bazaar-ng in depth.
>   (Then again, yaird does not yet claim stable status either,
>   bazaar-ng is selfhosting and it's used heavily in ubuntu.)
>
> * Migrate to SVN.  Uhm, back to the centralised model,
>   it's a less than completely irresistible option.
>   Perhaps the tailor package could create a gateway ...
>
> The quickest way to make a repository available would be for me to
> mirror the TLA archive; this has zero information loss due to
> migration, so it's easy to switch to something better once that
> becomes available.
>
> However, the repository is only interesting as a communication medium,
> publishing the TLA makes only sense if you can use the format.
> Please let me know if you have any use for access to a TLA or bazaar
> archive; otherwise we'll have to look at SVN.
>
> Regards,
> Erik

I have tried and failed to feel comfortable with TLA. I am not entirely
against it, but fear that the use of an (for me) awkward VCS tool could
slow down too much my being productive with actual packaging work.

On the other hand I see no problem in the main yaird development using
TLA or whatever, as long as I was told just the command for doing a
checkout of up-to-date source.

I believe it makes good sense to keep upstream and Debian-specific work
separately anyway - to allow upstream releases in different pace than
Debian ones (it would seem odd to have a new release for Debian due to
a bugfix only relevant for Redhat).

I will now apply for SVN to be added to this yaird Alioth project.
Flame me if this is a stupid move...

 - Jonas

- --