[Yaird-devel] Interested to help [Was: Re: linux-image-2.6.22-1-686: initrd creation fails with yaird]

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sat Aug 4 19:56:35 UTC 2007

Andrei Popescu skrev:
> On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 07:58:13PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
>>> Ok, ... I'm interested. But be warned, I'm not a coder.
>> Excellent!
>>
>> Please start by subscribing to the yaird mailinglist - more info at
>> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/yaird-devel
>>
>> Let's continue the conversation there, rather than at this bugreport.
>
> Ok, I'm in :)

Fine.

Being "not a coder" is relative. I don't consider myself a "coder"
either - but rather a "packager" and a "scripter".

Are you familiar with creating diffs and applying patches? With
compiling a package made by others? With pulling source out of a
subversion repository?

Even if none of it, I can still use help maintaining the mailinglist and
the various bugreports piling up.

The mailinglist is setup to not allow posts from non-subscribers by
default. We want input also from "outsiders", also rude, boring ones, as
long as it is related to yaird. Only spam is unacceptable. If interested
in helping with the screening of non-subscriber posts, I'll send you the
administration password privately.

There's an annoying limitation that automated posts from the BTS is
blocked - so if you want to help handling bugs, you really should help
screen the mailinglist too, to make sure all bugreports have arrived
when you dig into them.

For the BTS, as you mentioned yourself, there's the task of spotting and
merging multiple bugreports about identical issues. You may know it
already, but there's a short circuit to looking up bugs:

  http://bugs.debian.org/ redirects to info about usage

  http://bugs.debian.org/yaird redirects to list of all yaird bugs

  http://bugs.debian.org/435560 redirects to bug#435560

Tell me what you want to work on :-)