[Yaird-devel] Not finding cd-dvd rom (hda)?

Javier Vasquez jevv.cr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 19:49:21 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have 3 machines running with initrd images generated by yaird, and I
went for the 4th but yaird just doesn't seem to handle it...

See when using mkinitramfs I get (output from lshw)

        *-ide
             product: 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1f.1
             bus info: pci at 0000:00:1f.1
             version: 03
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: ide bus_master
             configuration: driver=PIIX_IDE latency=0 module=piix
           *-ide
                physical id: 0
                bus info: ide at 0
                logical name: ide0
                clock: 33MHz
              *-cdrom
                   product: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20L
                   physical id: 0
                   bus info: ide at 0.0
                   logical name: /dev/hda
                   capabilities: packet

And I get of course:

/dev/hda

When using yaird, I don't ever get /dev/hda, and from lshw, there's
nothing recognized as attached on channel 0.  One particular thing is
that the HD is a sata device, which makes this machine a bit different
from the rest which are working with yaird for me...

I tried looking at udev stuff, but I don't see real differences
between the different machines, so I can't really blame udev.  I can
only guess it's something about yaird...  I'm using debian/unstabe
with amd64 (core 2 duo) architecture.  Some relevant information about
the cpu:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7500  @ 2.20GHz
stepping        : 11
cpu MHz         : 2201.000
cache size      : 4096 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxs
r sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs
bts rep_good pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 s
sse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm ida
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

BTW, I can't report any bug since I don't see any error, just the fact
that I can't get the cd/dvd rom with yaird...  Although I do get the
sata partitions OK:

/dev/sda  /dev/sda1  /dev/sda2  /dev/sda3  /dev/sda5  /dev/sda6  /dev/sda7

I was thinking maybe there's a way to make yaird always load the
cd/dvd rom, even though it doesn't find it...  Any hints?

I'm not part of the list, so please CC me on any response if possible...

Thanks,

--
Javier