[Yast4debian-devel] Personal status report

Ramon Acedo ramon at linux-labs.net
Sun Sep 25 14:23:25 UTC 2005

Hello,
El sáb, 24-09-2005 a las 22:37 +0200, Mario Fux escribió:
> Am Mittwoch, 21. September 2005 11.29 schrieb Ramon Acedo:

> > just suggest a weekday or Weekend you can.
>
> This belongs to the IRC meeting, right ;-)?

Yes :-)

> > What if we'd propose a little paper argumenting why porting
> > YaST2 to debian based distros (in Spain there are some local
> > distros paid by public administrations).
>
> And the city of Munich and the city of Vienna are using Debian derivates too.
> The ideas sounds interesting.

It becomes clear how interesting it would be.

> > in it and making it to work in some local distros (from Spain,
> > Switzerland, Germany, USA...), most of these local distros are
> > Debian derivarives, and co-funded by the administrations.
> >
> > Would Novell/SuSE help in convincing them? I am an evangelist
> > here in Catalonia and I can reach some people at the top of the
> > Catalonian administration in the Information Society Departament.
>
> I'm not the optimist for the Swiss administration but hey, there are other
> groups of interested people who we could talk to.

> Stano, Klaus: Do you think there is some chance that we could convince some
> people inside Novell/SuSE who are able to speak some money? Just a small or
> even tiny chance is enough?

I was not talking about money, just about official support
from Novell/SuSE, I mean, I'd like to be able to meet with
people in the administration and tell them that Novell/SuSE
is interested in collaborating in the project the way it's
being done (Stano answering everything, irc meetings,
etc :-) but with an 'official' feeling.

> And there is Mark Shuttleworth and Ubuntu/Canonical too. We just need someone
> who develops a GTK frontend for YaST2.
But firstly a port to Debian.

> Stano, Klaus again: Could you give some raw time estimations for the
> development of another (GTK) frontend for YaST2?

And again we'd have to calculate how many hours we'd need to
port the most important modules (and define which are
important) as well as how we could define a way of keeping
the ports updated with the new versions of YaST (Stano said
in a post that in SuSE 10.0/OpenSuSE porting should be
easier).

Ramon