[Aakash-hackers] Bootstrapping for Aakash

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon Feb 3 17:28:25 UTC 2014

Quoting Vasudev Kamath (2014-02-03 17:48:47)
> Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> writes:

>>> 1. We were unable to install LIMA previously. Yes, it would be good
>>> to have a Debian package.
>>
>> Here I recommend getting in touch with Olimex developers.  They
>> produce Allwinner-based boards and ship them with Debian
>> preinstalled, and I know they have practical experience with using
>> the LIMA driver.
>>
> > https://www.olimex.com/ and on irc.freenode.net at #olimex

[snip]

> We had some discussion on this in #emdebian on irc.oftc.net with some
> #emdebian folks and Jonas. So some quite interesting alternatives
> where suggested.

Just for the record (because your way of phrasing it, although perceftly
correct and fine english grammar, can be misunderstood as such):

We did not discuss alternatives to collaborating with Olimex.

I still recommend to collaborate with Olimex!

> Here I'm listing them and possibly we can document this on wiki (I'll
> do it once I've some time)
>
> 1. https://github.com/linux-sunxi/sunxi-mali
> 2. https://github.com/ssvb/xf86-video-fbturbo

How about sharing those two URLs with Olimex developers.  E.g. ask if
that's the projects they have played with and blogged about or there are
perhaps other projects interesting to investigate as well, and tell them
that we exist and what we intend to do (not spawn off derivative stuff
but use upstream projects and do packaging in Debian itself).

> Srikant Aakash 2 tablet is powered with Mali 400? also the 2nd seems
> to be Video driver optimized for Alwinner SoC (A10, A13, A20)

Possibly the question is slightly flawed - seems from Olimex blog that
MALI is GPU and Allwinner chips contain - independent from MALI - a
so-called "VPU" for encoding/decoding multimedia codecs.

...but I am only guessing - it feels waste of effort to speculate, so I
recommend to be in dialogue with Olimex.

 - Jonas