[Aakash-hackers] Bootstrapping for Aakash

Vasudev Kamath kamathvasudev at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 03:34:12 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 10:58 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

> [snip]
>
>> We had some discussion on this in #emdebian on irc.oftc.net with some
>> #emdebian folks and Jonas. So some quite interesting alternatives
>> where suggested.
>
> Just for the record (because your way of phrasing it, although perceftly
> correct and fine english grammar, can be misunderstood as such):
>
> We did not discuss alternatives to collaborating with Olimex.
>
> I still recommend to collaborate with Olimex!

Right I didn't mean it as alternative to discussing with Olimex guys
probably I wrote my comment in wrong place, sorry for creating
confusion :-).

I will discuss with Olimex guys on freenode if its up today!
(yesterday FreeNode was down).

>> Here I'm listing them and possibly we can document this on wiki (I'll
>> do it once I've some time)
>>
>> 1. https://github.com/linux-sunxi/sunxi-mali
>> 2. https://github.com/ssvb/xf86-video-fbturbo
>
> How about sharing those two URLs with Olimex developers.  E.g. ask if
> that's the projects they have played with and blogged about or there are
> perhaps other projects interesting to investigate as well, and tell them
> that we exist and what we intend to do (not spawn off derivative stuff
> but use upstream projects and do packaging in Debian itself).
>

>> Srikant Aakash 2 tablet is powered with Mali 400? also the 2nd seems
>> to be Video driver optimized for Alwinner SoC (A10, A13, A20)
>
> Possibly the question is slightly flawed - seems from Olimex blog that
> MALI is GPU and Allwinner chips contain - independent from MALI - a
> so-called "VPU" for encoding/decoding multimedia codecs.
>
> ...but I am only guessing - it feels waste of effort to speculate, so I
> recommend to be in dialogue with Olimex.

I see I've no clue about these things. thanks for sharing your speculations :-).

--

Vasudev Kamath
http://copyninja.info