[Adduser-devel] adduser rewrite

Stephen Gran sgran at debian.org
Fri Jan 5 12:58:42 CET 2007

This one time, at band camp, Marc Haber said:
> On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 11:59:54PM +0100, Davor Ocelic wrote:
> > Recently we[1] had a need to add ldap/krb/afs support to adduser.
>
> I am not sure whether it makes sense to have adduser write to other
> user database backends. If you, for example, install a mysql server on
> one system, is it desireable to have the mysql user created in ldap
> where it starts to exist on all systems?

Making --system users only use the password/shadow backend unless
specifically forced in a config file is probably the simplest way to
handle that.  Otherwise, I agree.

> When doing your code, please think modular and define an interface
> between main adduser and the "storage backend". Along this interface,
> code responsibilities can be shared, and it would be possible to plug
> in other backends.
>
> The first step would probably be defining that interface and modifying
> existing adduser (including the "shadow/passwd" backend) to use it
> before even thinking about ldap or other backends.

This is how I have started, but admittedly, I haven't gone any further
since shortly after Debconf.
|  : :' :                                        sgran at debian.org |