[Adduser-devel] adduser rewrite

Marc Haber mh+adduser-devel at zugschlus.de
Fri Jan 5 10:40:30 CET 2007

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 11:59:54PM +0100, Davor Ocelic wrote:
> Recently we[1] had a need to add ldap/krb/afs support to adduser.

I am not sure whether it makes sense to have adduser write to other
user database backends. If you, for example, install a mysql server on
one system, is it desireable to have the mysql user created in ldap
where it starts to exist on all systems?

I suspect that it will be exceptionally hard to write an adduser ldap
backend that will cover the needs of all installations using it.

When doing your code, please think modular and define an interface
between main adduser and the "storage backend". Along this interface,
code responsibilities can be shared, and it would be possible to plug
in other backends.

The first step would probably be defining that interface and modifying
existing adduser (including the "shadow/passwd" backend) to use it
before even thinking about ldap or other backends.

Greetings
Marc