[Advacs-discuss] Re: Advacs accounting system

Oliver Elphick olly@lfix.co.uk
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:13:07 +0100

On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 17:53, Helmut Wollmersdorfer wrote:
> Oliver Elphick schrieb:
> > On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 15:18, Helmut Wollmersdorfer wrote:
>
> >>How do you want to include translated versions?
> >>Like this: docs/de/ ?
>
> > Yes, I suppose that makes most sense.  I'll need to create an en
> > directory and move the existing stuff down;
>
> As EN is the primary language this is not necessary. At an other GPLed
> package - DRBD - we have /documentation with all the original stuff in
> it, and subdirectories /documentation/ja and ./pt_BR. But maybe
> installation is easier with an explicit ./EN/.

I think it's best to keep the structure consistent

> >>Similar method is used at the end of the fiscal period. First every
> >>earnings/expenditures balanced off against an "Profit & Loss account",
> >>and then every remaining non-zero (GL-)accounts against "closing balance
> >>account".
> >

> > What I am doing (and have done before in a different system) amounts to
> > the same thing, but is more directly related to the way manual books are
> > done.
>
> Here in DE & AT the way with use of balance accounts is educated even
> for the manual method. Standard account shemes list the balance accounts.

If there are differences in basic practice, I will just have to stick
with the way I was taught.

> > Yes, I define two extra tables: subhead and subhead_line which describe
> > possible sections and lines in the balance sheet and P&L a/c.  Each GL
> > account belongs to 1 or 2 subhead_line entries (1 for debit balances and
> > 1 for credit balances).  subhead_line entries define a subtotal level.
>
> Hmm ... local AT-laws define very detailled, how a balance sheet must be
> structured at minimum. This needs more than two levels. It looks
> something like this:
> 1. foo
> 1.1 foo-1
> 1.2 foo-2
> 1.2.a foo-2-a
> 1.2.a.1 ....

We have some prescribed forms nowadays (a rather un-English way of doing
things) so we will have to provide the prescribed formats for different
countries.  SQL-Ledger does something similar.