[Advacs-discuss] International flavours.

David Palmer davidpalmer@westnet.com.au
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:39:45 +0800

Oliver Elphick wrote:

>  On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 07:40, David Palmer wrote:
>
> > Perhaps in this way the different international packages could be
> > defined for downloading. Other countries have their own particular
> > quirks, e.g., G.S.T., goods and services tax. The VAT module may
> > well only need renaming for that purpose.
>

>  VAT has extra features that might get in the way. A simple sales tax
>  could probably be rolled up into a country-specific package to
>  include other items. My plan is to provide hooks to let routines be
>  called by indirection in a country-specific package. It might well
>  be that one country's package could be adopted almost without change
>  for another country, but that has to be determined by nationals of
>  that country.

Perhaps the most efficient way would be to find the national environment
with the most basic requirements (e.g., Australia with a simple 10%
across the board G.S.T. factor), establish basic module structure on
that, and then pipe on the added modules required for a more elaborate
structure (such as that required for the British V.A.T. requirement).
Structuring the programme this way would engender the greatest degree of
flexibility to facilitate individual national requirement, while
catering for a more efficient package maintenance programme after release.

<<snip>>

> > Just my take, but I think that this would be the fastest way to
> > gain market acceptance if these respective tax departments were to
> > list the future Advacs package as approved goods, as this is
> > generally the first place accountants look when determining their
> > software requirements. I have already emailed the Australian tax
> > dept. re their compliance requirements, but perhaps a little
> > further research might pay dividends with regard to acceptance
> > within the U.S. and other markets?
>

>  I would be pleased to receive input about this. We cannot hope to
>  handle every nuance of every country's regulations, but it helps to
>  be aware of pitfalls at this stage of the design.
>
>  Fortunately, the basic modules are going to be fairly standard for
>  any country. I can't really imagine that the General Ledger is going
>  to be much affected by national requirements.

Agreed the basic concepts of commerce are the same everywhere,
consequently the recording processes associated with them will be also.
What I am trying to do is plan for the widest possible application
potential for the finished process.
Regards,

David.