[Advacs-discuss] International flavours.

Oliver Elphick olly@lfix.co.uk
Sat, 14 Aug 2004 11:14:47 +0100

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 16:55, Helmut Wollmersdorfer wrote:
> At least, VAT can also be triggered by pre-payment (see above). A
> work-around solution is, to create a pseudo-invoice (or you have a
> document like a "pre-payment invitation"), handle this like an invoice,
> account it to "prepayment-revenues" etc. Manage this correctly on the
> customer-accounts, in open-items, VAT and at the transaction of the
> _final_ invoice is not easy.

We have the VAT concept of the "tax point", which is not necessarily the
same as the invoice date.  The VAT Record table would have to record
that.

> > Credits are represented by negative numbers.
>
> Possible.
> Usual is D/C (DE: S[oll]/H[aben]) and adjustments or other corrections
> by negative numbers.

If we can stick with numbers, it will be much more efficient for
processing, otherwise every calculation needs to run a function on every
row to find out what sign to use.

> > Your example expects to use different account codes for different tax
> > rates.  I can't see the need for that;
>
> That has a practical purpose.
> You can find errors more easily.
> And it is an easy method, to put all this amounts into the fields of the
> monthly and yearly tax-declaration.

Does the AT VAT return need to list amounts at different tax rates
separately?

> > The need to restrict input tax on account of exempt outputs (is that a
> > requirement in Austria?) illustrates the need for extra data in the VAT
> > module.  The Exempt tax rate needs a flag to say that outputs on this
> > rate will cause inputs to be restricted and there needs to be a VAT
> > return generation program that knows how to handle it.
>
> Can you explain more verbose? I do not understand exactly, what exempt
> means in this context.

In the UK we have two positive rates of VAT (17.5% and 5%), a zero rate
and exempt (and out of scope).

Neither exempt nor zero rate outputs have any VAT charged; however, you
can recover input tax relating to zero rate outputs, but not that
relating to exempt outputs.  An organisation whose outputs are entirely
exempt cannot recover any input tax; one whose outputs are partially
exempt must restrict its claim back of input tax according to the
proportion of exempt outputs to total outputs.

     "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace,
      that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in
      time of need."           Hebrews 4:16