[Advacs-discuss] International flavours.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut@wollmersdorfer.at
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 22:42:25 +0200

Oliver Elphick schrieb:

> We have the VAT concept of the "tax point", which is not necessarily the
> same as the invoice date.  The VAT Record table would have to record
> that.

It is not called "tax point" but from the logic it is similar.

> Does the AT VAT return need to list amounts at different tax rates
> separately?

"VAT return" means the same as [AT|DE]:Vorsteuer, i.e. VAT on incoming
goods and services?
In AT there is only one tax amount for all "Vorsteuer" tax rates, and no
taxable base to list. But there are 11 lines (=kinds) of "Vorsteuer" to
declare on the monthly (or quarterly for small business) report, normal
case, import, EU, etc.

Just dedected on SQL-Ledger List: In DE they also use different tax
accounts for different tax rates. Don't know if this is necessary or
just usual.

> In the UK we have two positive rates of VAT (17.5% and 5%), a zero rate
> and exempt (and out of scope).

> Neither exempt nor zero rate outputs have any VAT charged; however, you
> can recover input tax relating to zero rate outputs, but not that
> relating to exempt outputs.  An organisation whose outputs are entirely
> exempt cannot recover any input tax; one whose outputs are partially
> exempt must restrict its claim back of input tax according to the
> proportion of exempt outputs to total outputs.

Similar here.
But we do not have a zero rate by law.
A tax code with tax percentage of zero is just a method, to sum the tax
free taxable base for report purposes in the tax declaration.

Example of tax report:
Total base amount (~turnover) of tax period: ......
+ own consumption                            ......
- exports                                    ......
- international transports                   ......
TOTAL taxable base                           100.00

of this            base                      VAT
20% normal VAT     80.00                      16.00
10% reduced VAT    20.00                       2.00

Helmut Wollmersdorfer