[Advacs-discuss] docbook xml and tools

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut@wollmersdorfer.at
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:56:20 +0200

Yesterday I installed a lot of docbook stuff and searched for supporting
tools.

Emacs and (g)vim is sayed to have some docbook support, but I didn't try it.

Now I found and tried Quanta
http://packages.debian.org/testing/web/quanta which needs KDE. Features
of Quanta are:
- syntax highligthing for a lot of languages including docbook
   (nearly everything like Perl, Python, HTML, SQL, XML)
- lint for some languages
- validation for some languages
- hiding and displaying of groups of lines according to the
   hierarchical structure of data (e.g. in XML)
- support of most character encodings
- spell check (aspell, ispell, hspell)
- integration of cervisia (CVS frontend)
- diffing

Quanta is IMHO an alternative for somebody, who likes graphical editors
and does not want to invest time into learning emacs or vim.

Quanta is a little bit unstable and buggy. I experienced a crash
yesterday. So be carefully and save your work periodically.

Aspell for German does not work correctly in UTF-8 for the words with
accented characters. Unfortunately the whole editor needs to be
reconfigured, if you want to change from English to German spell check -
design error. This is a little disadvantage for me, as I often work on
files in different languages at the same time.

As it is the same problem with all editors, search and replace is
relatively poor compared against full featured regular expressions of Perl.

Cervisia has poor support of CVS. You have to mark the files that you
want to add, commit or delete to CVS. But maybe this is easier for CVS
beginners.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer