[Advacs-discuss] docbook xml and tools

David Palmer davidpalmer@westnet.com.au
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:17:46 +0800

Oliver Elphick wrote:

>It looks good.

Here's another:-

http://www.freespiders.org/projects/gmlview/

>There are some other questions about DocBook that I have.
>
>It appears that DocBook XML is a simplified version of DocBook SGML; I
>suppose if we ever needed the greater sophistication we could just
>switch?

Yes, but highly unlikely.
It's the recognised new standard, and is sufficient for literally any
purpose. The various descriptions are a little misleading. They tend to
give the impression that xml is some sort of shorthand version of sgml.
Not an accurate impression to convey.
I intend to learn sgml sometime, but just to round off education.

>Which stylesheet do we use?

Html would probably be the main contender. Although we would also have
to supply the sort of comprehensive coverage that Helmut suggests in his
post. Info also, to keep Colin Watson happy.
Further down the track, I wouldn't mind playing with xsl as it's the new
standard as far as that goes.

W3C, Tim Berners-Lee's outfit, plays the leading role in all of this
sort of thing.
They have a fairly comprehensive collection of tutorials, xml and
associated style sheets amongst them.

http://www.w3schools.com/xml/default.asp

Regards,

David.