[Advacs-discuss] Re: Advacs progress

Oliver Elphick olly@lfix.co.uk
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:54:55 +0000

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 11:19 +0000, Clive Menzies wrote:
> Hi Oliver
>
> We spotted this mention of you in ZD Net yesterday:
>
> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39175137,00.htm

In fact I hadn't seen this.  The reporter spoke to me at the Linux Expo
and tried to ring me a few days ago when I was in Israel.

> I guess you have seen it.  However, I thought I'd drop you a line to see
> how advacs is progressing (we're currently enslaved to Sage at the
> request of our accountants).  The last posting on alioth is 12 August
> 2004.

There is more recent stuff there under Lists.

The current situation is that I am trying (in the little spare time I
have) to get the database design right first of all.  This involves
writing triggers and such that can take a journal entry and post it and
verify that all business rules are satisfied.  At this stage, it is
still possible that the whole design will need to be thrown away and
rethought.

You can get current CVS from alioth; at this stage it is possible to
load a chart of accounts and make general ledger postings using psql as
a front-end.  There are not as yet any end-user programs.

If you have any input on what you would like to see in an accounting
system, please send mail to the advacs mailing list.

My current focus is on getting PostgreSQL 8.0 repackaged for Debian so
that the packages will be ready for its official release; Advacs has had
to go on the back-burner for a while.
     "In the beginning God created the heaven and the
      earth."
                           Genesis 1:1