[Advacs-discuss] Modules

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut@wollmersdorfer.at
Wed, 01 Sep 2004 11:48:13 +0200

David Palmer wrote:

> Make the 'base' module what a typical home-based business would need,
> planning for the expansion into enterprise requirement while doing so.

Yes. But a small or very small business can also use a ledger, which is
targeted for medium sized companies. The only difference is, that the
samll company does not need a full blown CoA (chart of accounts) of e.g.
some hundred GL accounts, which are defined in the Austrian standard
template. Thus I will provide two or three variants of CoA templates
choosable at craetion of a company instance. In my one-man company I
only have around 30 GL accounts and a few dozen customers or suppliers.

Even you can use a double entry ledger for simple earnings/expenses
accounting. Just define the few typical accounts
- main earnings
- other earnings
- interest earnings
- interest expenses
- VAT
- other taxes
- main expenses
- bank/cash
- customers
- suppliers

Then limit the report to the earnings/expenses accounts.

> In this way we could develop a scenario whereby even ecommerce could be
> hooked directly into the accounts structure (sales ledger?).

That's a question of interface design. I assume that an additional modul
like a webshop should not update the database directly. It should better
use a provided invoice interface to sales ledger.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer