[Advacs-discuss] Modules

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut@wollmersdorfer.at
Wed, 01 Sep 2004 15:43:40 +0200

Oliver Elphick wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 08:45, David Palmer wrote:

>>In this way we could develop a scenario whereby even ecommerce could be
>>hooked directly into the accounts structure (sales ledger?). This is a
>>factor that even small business is actioning these days.

> My intention is to have GL as the necessary core and every other module
> optional.  The typical small business would also need CB, SL and PL
> (cashbook, sales ledger (AR) and purchase ledger (AP)).  Others can be
> added as the level of sophistication and need increases.

> Some modules may depend on others than just the core.  So e-commerce
> would need the sales order module, which in turn needs stock control and
> sales ledger.

ACK.
I agree with David, that the integration of a webshop has some priority.
I see this priority _after_ the development of the basic subledgers.

For the typical small webshop (e.g. computer parts; we call this type of
business "box moving", because it lacks of added value) the
functionality of sales ledger, sales order and stock control will be
enough. But it lacks e.g. credit card validation, international
VAT-rules, online catalog etc.

1. A webshop can work as external ledger with its own books
    and journals. This is possible anyways.
2. Somebody can adapt a webshop package to export the necessary data
    in a file, which can be imported to Advacs via standard
    advacs-interfaces.
3. Somebody can develop a full integrated advacs-webshop, meeting the
    standards of Advacs. This can be an official module. Maybe we develop
    it ourselves if this is easy. But we cannot eat elephants within one
    day.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer