[apt-offline-devel] apt-offline install error: couldn't understand file type ..._Release.gpg

Ritesh Raj Sarraf rrs at researchut.com
Thu Mar 31 10:40:46 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-03-31 at 12:12 +0200, Gabriel Niebler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first of all, thanks for developing apt-offline. It's a really great,
> useful and well thought-out tool and it's already saved me a lot of
> work.

Thanks. I'm happy people find it useful.

> I'm using apt-offline to administer the software on an LXC container
> that has no network configured, but shares a (bind-mounted) directory
> with the virtualisation host.
> Both the container and the host run Debian stable (jessie).

That's one use case I too use it for these days. :-)

> I've come across one little problem, though:
>
> I can run 'apt-offline set ...' on the container and 'apt-offline get
> ...' on the host without problems and the latter command will
> download
> all required files to the specified directory:
> /srv/lxc/<container>/apt-offline   on the host, which is bind-mounted
> /srv/lxc/<host>/apt-offline   in the container.
>
> Then I run 'apt-offline install ...' in the container and get an
> error:
> # apt-offline install /srv/lxc/<host>/apt-offline/
> ERROR: I couldn't understand file type
> http.debian.net_debian_dists_jessie_Release.gpg.
>
> Evidently apt-offline doesn't understand or cannot deal with .gpg-
> files.
> I can work around this issue by simply deleting all .gpg-files in
> that
> directory and then 'apt-offline install ...' will run through and a
> subsequent apt-get upgrade will also work fine.
>
> Am I doing something wrong? Is this a known issue?

You shouldn't delete the .gpg files. They are important to validate the
integrity of the data that was downloaded. Without those, you could be
vulnerable.

That said, the issue you have mentioned is known and was fixed some
time ago.

What version of apt-offline are you on ?

I've fixed this in the git repository but I don't think I have made the
public release. Sorry about that. My procrastination is showing up.

I just need to spend some time to test it properly.

> Unfortunately, I cannot acccess the apt-offline issue tracker on
> alioth.

That's fine. Alioth is showing its age. I've also put up a git repo on
github until alioth catches up.

Are you in a position to try out the current version from git ? It'll
help me with some testing.

https://github.com/rickysarraf/apt-offline/

--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf