[apt-offline-devel] apt-offline install error: couldn't understand file type ..._Release.gpg

Gabriel Niebler gabriel.niebler at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 11:02:04 UTC 2016

Hello again and thanks for the very quick reply.

On 03/31/2016 12:40 PM, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-03-31 at 12:12 +0200, Gabriel Niebler wrote:
>> I'm using apt-offline to administer the software on an LXC container
>> that has no network configured, but shares a (bind-mounted) directory
>> with the virtualisation host.
> That's one use case I too use it for these days. :-)

Wow, I was pretty sure I was the only one doing such foolish things ;-)
I want to use my offline LXC container as a build system, to build
custom kernels and the like for the host without having to install build
tools there.
Out of curiosity, may I ask what you use your offline container for?

> You shouldn't delete the .gpg files. They are important to validate the
> integrity of the data that was downloaded. Without those, you could be
> vulnerable.

I understand that. I know a little about Secure APT and why it's a good
idea, but I couldn't get apt-offline to work otherwise. It was more a
measure of desperation than anything.

> That said, the issue you have mentioned is known and was fixed some
> time ago.
>
> What version of apt-offline are you on ?

Version 1.5.1, I think. The one from the standard Debian stable repos:

# apt-cache show apt-offline
Package: apt-offline
Version: 1.5.1

# apt-offline --version
1.5

> Are you in a position to try out the current version from git ? It'll
> help me with some testing.
>
> https://github.com/rickysarraf/apt-offline/

Gladly. I'll do it as soon as I can make the time.
I'll write back then.

Best
Gabriel