[axel-devel] axel-devel Digest, Vol 11, Issue 1

Philipp Hagemeister phihag at phihag.de
Tue Nov 11 15:18:19 UTC 2008

李蠡 wrote:
>> ... but that
>> depends on what you want to log. Tell us and we'll either consider it
>> for a future version or help you write a wrapper script.
>
> (...)
>
> No matter it if downloads example.7z successfully, I cound see a log here
> $HOME/.axel/log
> URL                                             DESTINATION DIR
> DATE                  FILESIZE    N    ...
> http://www.kernel.org/example.7z   /home/share/dol        08-11-11 20:49
> 10 MB        2
> It's very important that user could delete/find downloaded DESTINATION file
> from log, a good/nice log viewer is important too.
>
> Using sqlite to manage log maybe is a good idea,
> (..)

This would be more of a history instead of a log then. Sure, that's
possible, although not a priority for axel. I added a tracker entry:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=311250&group_id=100070&atid=413085

However, I think that this should be the responsibility of the interface
and does not belong in axel's core - although a simple log format could
be implemented there. If you need more, we'll think of a parsable output
that you can pipe into one of future wrapper scripts to do fancy stuff.

> *BUG*
> Some firends told me that axel maybe includes some bugs somewhere, it
> doesn't work well with Gentoo GNU/Linux Portage Software Manager.
>
> Gentoo Portage use wget download file with one single thread one single
> connection default, so that many gentoo users use axel instead of wget in
> portage configure file /etc/make.conf:
> $ cat /etc/make.conf
> FETCHCOMMAND="/usr/bin/axel -a -n2 \${URI} -o \${DISTDIR}"
> RESUMECOMMAND="/usr/bin/axel -a -n2 \${URI} -o \${DISTDIR}"
>
> However it doesn't work well, it interrupts downloading file suddenly
> without any msg or reason, but aira2 or wget has no problem ... many users
> using arai2 instead of axel now.
Without a message, it's nearly impossible to debug.

However, the code quality of 2.x is somewhat yucky. We're working on it,
and 3.x will be a complete rewrite that ensures correct synchronization
and will never exit without an error message.

> *Improve GUI suggest*
> Please have a look this
> http://code.google.com/p/egear/
> and this
> Thunder is best & worst donwloader on M$-WIndows in China.
> http://down.sandai.net/Thunder5.8.6.600.exe

Are you using the kapt GUI? I'm just using axel on the CLI; the GUI is
afaik unmaintained (I just had a look at it, looks gruesome). Anyway,
axel is on the way to become a usable, fast and small program/code that
can be used by a GUI. Perhaps we'll add a nice Qt one in 4.x, but at the
moment, we concentrate on a stable, fast and small core. egear looks
nice. It uses curl, and could be adapted to use axel instead.

Kind regards,

Philipp