[axel-devel] [axel-Bugs][310625] Support Metalink format for listing mirrors

axel-bugs at alioth.debian.org axel-bugs at alioth.debian.org
Thu May 28 18:13:33 UTC 2009

Bugs item #310625, was changed at 2008-02-27 13:03 by ant bryan
You can respond by visiting:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=413085&aid=310625&group_id=100070

Initial Comment:
Metalink is a simple XML format for listing mirrors & checksums. Many download programs use it.

http://www.metalinker.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalink

Comment By: ant bryan (ant-guest)
Date: 2009-05-28 13:13

Message:
I saw this in the roadmap:

"Basic Metalink support should not be that difficult. However, it will only be compiled if METALINK is defined. Metalink support will require libxml2. As libmetalink is currently unusable for us (private symbols), we'll implement the format ourselves."

the private symbols issue wasn't resolved?

I know you don't plan to use libmetalink, but if things change...mulk, written in C, is a command line downloader with metalink support using libmetalink.

Comment By: Nobody (None)
Date: 2008-06-14 16:55

Message:
libmetalink is now available from http://code.google.com/p/libmetalink/

libmetalink is a Metalink library written in C language. It is intended to provide the programs written in C to add Metalink functionality such as parsing Metalink XML files.

Comment By: Nobody (None)
Date: 2008-04-02 05:59

Message:
A very simple implementation of reading metalinks (actually stripping might be a better word) can be found in the Metalinks project svn. I once wrote a small tool called metalinklinks which extracts metalink information for bash scripts I used.

It was never released as a seperate tool because it is simply so stupid, but it may be a nice read for anybody who is going to port this C++ program to C and include it in axel. All the code is there, it just needs to be rewritten from C++ to C and the program does not depend on any library.

The source is at:

http://metalinks.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/metalinks/metalinklinks/src/

Greets,
  Bram

Comment By: Y Giridhar Appaji Nag  (appaji-guest)
Date: 2008-03-06 10:27

Message:
As of now, there are no plans to support Metalink.  The idea is to keep axel as small and simple as possible and support only HTTP and FTP.