[axel-users] How to set retry times and buffer size of axel

Philipp Hagemeister phihag at phihag.de
Wed Dec 17 03:58:53 UTC 2008

Hi Kevin,

sorry for answering that late. Giridhar seems to have overlooked this
thread (maybe he doesn't read -users) and I'm currently busy and will
probably not have much time available for axel until April 2009. (So v3
will be delayed, and I think I'm gonna scratch the current
ultra-threaded approach because it just becomes too complex).

> 1.       How can I set the retry times of axel, I don’t see this
option in the axelrc.

If it is neither reconnect_delay nor connection_timeout, what are you
looking for?

> 2.       How big is proper for the buffer size when the download speed is
> about 40MB/s, because sometimes I got core dumped using axel, I consider
> maybe the buffer set is too small.

In theory, that depends on the the latency, latency distribution and
configuration of your network. However, I think it is mostly irrelevant
in axel. Maximum performance should be achieved with a little bit bigger
than your MTU (1500 on Ethernet) or a multiple of it. Anyway, axel
should never crash no matter what this value is. It would be nice if you
could provide detailled information about these crashes and/or whether
they occur with a particulary large(say, 100000) or small(500) buffer size.

Regards,

Philipp