[Bash-completion-devel] bash completion patterns for zgrep &c. are wrong

David Paleino d.paleino at gmail.com
Sun May 11 14:50:48 UTC 2008

tags 455510 confirmed pending
thanks

Hi Reuben,

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 15:19:30 +0000, Reuben Thomas wrote:

> The bash completion patterns for
>
> bzcat bzcmp bzdiff bzegrep bzfgrep bzgrep
> zcmp zdiff zcat zegrep zfgrep zgrep zless zmore
>
> are all wrong: the point of these commands is that they work both with
> compressed and uncompressed files, so they should not be restricted to
> working only with compressed files.

Uhm, right.

> As far as I can see, the relevant completions are in
> /etc/bash_completion at lines 81 and 84, but there's something about
> those lines being "completions that are redefined later", which is
> odd, because I can see no such definition.

It's at line 4159, or around there (it depends on your version). Look for a
comment stating "makeinfo and texi2dvi are defined elsewhere" ;)

> In any case, the above-listed commands only complete on compressed
> file names, and that's wrong.

Right.
I've just commented out those entries (well, keeping safe bunzip2 and gunzip),
but I believe there's no special rule for those commands, if they must match on
*all* filenames.

I've applied the changes to our Bzr repository (@devs: commit 1101).

Kindly,
David