[Bash-completion-devel] Extending dh_bash-completion

David Paleino d.paleino at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 22:11:44 UTC 2009

Thanks Iain :)

On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 22:34:09 +0100, Iain Lane wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 22:56 +0200, Federico Hernandez wrote:
> > Hi!

Hello Federico,

> > I was thinking of extending the functionality in dh_bash-completion.
> >
> > While packaging my first package ("task" on revu - still waiting for
> > some reviews - shameless plug) I discovered that dh_bash-completion
> > expects a file called debian/bash-completion to be copied
> > to /etc/bash_completion.d/<name-of-package>.

Yes, or...

> > So it behaves differently to, let's say, dh_installdocs which either
> > can use filenames arguments or copies the files mentioned in
> > debian/docs to the documentation directory.

..this.

There was a bug filed about this, and dh_bash-completion tries to understand
whether debian/bash-completion is a shell fragment (and installs it into the
proper directory), or a list of filenames (and installs those).

> > I want now to "extend" dh_bash-completion do behave in the same way. I
> > would assume the following 3 cases:
> > 1) There is a file called debian/bash-completion. Then copy that file
> > to /etc/bash_completion.d/<name-of-package>.

Does that already.

> > 2) dh_bash-completion is called with arguments. Copy the arguments
> > (files) to /etc/bash_completion.d using <packagename>_<filename> as
> > the new destianation names.

Can't really tell whether it does this or not, I should check (too tired now to
do it :))

> > 3) There is a file called debian/completions. Copy the files mentioned
> > there to /etc/bash_completion.d using <packagename>_<filename> as the
> > new destionation names.

Why diverging with "completions" instead of bash-completion?
However, it already does this.

*And*, I don't really agree to change the completion names.

However, those changes you're asking were uploaded on Fri, 03 Apr 2009 14:21:43
+0200, with version 1:1.0-1 in Debian.
The bug is http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=512917 .

The fact is: Ubuntu hasn't synced bash-completion for a while (we also changed
version numbering scheme in the meanwhile!)

Kindly,
David

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino