[Bash-completion-devel] Extending dh_bash-completion

Federico Hernandez ultrafredde at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 22:58:21 UTC 2009

Hi David!

THX for the input.

> There was a bug filed about this, and dh_bash-completion tries to
> understand
> whether debian/bash-completion is a shell fragment (and installs it into
> the
> proper directory), or a list of filenames (and installs those).
>
> > > I want now to "extend" dh_bash-completion do behave in the same way. I
> > > would assume the following 3 cases:
> > > 1) There is a file called debian/bash-completion. Then copy that file
> > > to /etc/bash_completion.d/<name-of-package>.
>
> Does that already.

I mentioned this so that the current functionality doesn't get broken and
keeps the script backwards compatible

> > > 3) There is a file called debian/completions. Copy the files mentioned
> > > there to /etc/bash_completion.d using <packagename>_<filename> as the
> > > new destionation names.
>
> Why diverging with "completions" instead of bash-completion?
> However, it already does this.
>
> *And*, I don't really agree to change the completion names.

If dh_bash-completion is checking if debian/bash-completion is a script or a
list of files then it doesn't require a name change. If it is not checking
then for backward compatibility it would require a name change so that other
packages don't get broken.

> However, those changes you're asking were uploaded on Fri, 03 Apr 2009
> 14:21:43
> +0200, with version 1:1.0-1 in Debian.
> The bug is http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=512917 .
>
> The fact is: Ubuntu hasn't synced bash-completion for a while (we also
> changed
> version numbering scheme in the meanwhile!)

Well, I might just check the new version and update the Ubuntu package.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

/Federico