[Bash-completion-devel] hostname completion issues

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Wed Jun 17 20:26:18 UTC 2009

Hello,

Some recent changes (known hosts stuff?) have broken ssh hostname completion
quite badly for me in git master.

First, "ssh <TAB>" completes to an insane amount (almost 3500) things,
apparently including all shell functions and builtins I have around, every
command in path, and hostnames from my known_hosts files.

Second, hostname completions never seem to get filtered at all.  Let's say I
want to ssh to git.debian.org:

$ ssh gi<TAB>
Display all 321 possibilities? (y or n) <n>
$ ssh git<TAB>
Display all 310 possibilities? (y or n) <n>
$ ssh git.debi<TAB>
Display all 179 possibilities? (y or n) <n>
$ ssh git.debian.org<TAB>
Display all 179 possibilities? (y or n) <n>

Nope, I don't have 179 entries starting with git.debian.org in my known_hosts
files, I have 1: git.debian.org.  By looking at those 179 possibilities, the
list seems to contain all hostname completions available, so it never reduces
that set based on what I've typed.

This is with bash 3.2.39(1)-release.  Anyone else seeing this?  Anyone working
on known hosts completion?