[Bash-completion-devel] Bump match_max for test suite?

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Thu Jan 14 18:45:09 UTC 2010

On Sunday 10 January 2010, Freddy Vulto wrote:
> On 100109 13:21, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > Expect's default buffer size is too small - 2000 bytes according to the
> > man page here - for cases where we have a lot of completions.  In
> > addition to rpm, there are at least pkg_info, portupgrade, portinstall,
> > and probably quite a few other tests that have this problem.
>
> I think I had similar problems with dpkg.  I found that increasing the
> buffer size made investigating the dbg.log file a tough job.  That's why
> I wrote match_items() in lib/library.exp which matches items in chunks
> (default 20).

Aha!  Examining dbg.log is a tough job even with this wrapper, though ;)
(At least in this particular case.)

> Most complete test wrapper functions use `match_items()',
> so if you'd use the test wrappers like `assert_complete()' things would
> work also without increasing buffer size?

I tried, but I think I ran into a bug.  See the attached dbg.log.gz and
nevermind the actual rpm test case (it's not the one in git, I'll push it when
I get this stuff working).

Around line 1903 in the log, the output apparently got chunked so that there's
quite a bit of leading whitespace before nspluginwrapper in the chunk of
output string tested against, but the regexp doesn't tolerate it as it's
anchored at beginning of line: ^nspluginwrapper\s+[...]

If I'm right, should whitespace be left-trimmed when chunking, or the regexp
be changed to tolerate leading whitespace?