[Bash-completion-devel] re bash completion FAQ

Dan Haskell dan_haskell at mentor.com
Sat Mar 8 00:18:06 UTC 2014

Q. The bash completion code inhibits some commands from completing on
    files with extensions that are legitimate in my environment. Do I
    have to disable completion for that command in order to complete on
    the files that I need to?

A. No. Use M-/ to (in the words of the man page) attempt file name
    completion on the text to the left of the cursor. This will
    circumvent any file type restrictions put in place by the bash
    completion code.

First of all what man page? :)

Second what key sequence does M-/ represent? I haven't touched Emacs in 15+ years... newbies won't know either.

Third, is there a way to just turn this feature off? I know what commands handle what sort of file, hate it when software contradicts me.

Appreciate your work none the less.

Dan