[Bash-completion-devel] Complete environment variable setting

Jerome Reybert jreybert at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 12:28:15 UTC 2016

Hello,

I feel a lack in bash completion around variable environment setting.
Contrary to variable read, in which case the variable starts with a $
sign, variable set syntax is done without the dollar sign.

In command lines like:

 > LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/somewhere ./my_app
 > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/somewhere

LD_LIBRARY_PATH won't be completed.

First, I wonder if it exists, and it doesn't work because of some
misconfiguration of mine.

If it does not exists, is it something you would like to see in
bash-completion? If yes, I would need some simple support to start,
like: what is the right completion file to add the general case (for
export completion, obviously, I'd look to completion/export).In a first
time, it could be something very simple, based on `env` output to list
all exported environment variable.

Cheers,

--
Jérôme