[Bash-completion-devel] New upstream version?

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat Jun 24 05:37:38 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 4:44 AM, Thomas Ross <thomasross at thomasross.io> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm not sure if https://github.com/scop/bash-completion is the same
> project as the bash-completion package in Debian, but I believe it is as
> the https://bash-completion.alioth.debian.org/ page redirects there.

It is, yes.

> The Debian bash-completion package is very out of date - the current
> version in Debian is 2.1 (released in 2013, before bash 4.3!). The
> current release is 2.5 (released February 4th of this year)
>
> Are there any plans to update to this version? Are there any problems
> with releasing version 2.5 in that GitHub repository? I'd be happy to
> attempt to package version 2.5 if there are no objections.

I'm not a Debian user, but as far as I can tell, the Debian
bash-completion package has been essentially unmaintained for a long
time. It would be great to bring it up to date and have someone with
enough time to maintain it. I would however wait a bit longer as I'm
planning to release version 2.6 really soon now, probably next week.

Also, if you can affect it, I believe the sole existence of this
mailing list is related to some Debian policy and that the list's
address is listed as the upstream contact point in the Debian package.
It would be nice to be able to close this list down. All contacts
should point to the above mentioned github project.