[Blend-fluxbox-devel] administrative - Jan 7

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Jan 8 05:30:02 UTC 2016

Quoting Stephan Foley (2016-01-08 07:44:29)
> Wiki page has been moved to https://wiki.debian.org/DebianFluxbox in
> keeping with the wiki pages of other blends such as:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianAstro

I see no need for that, but as you wish.

If you haven't already, please consider adding a redirecing page at the
old location, to serve those who have already bookmarked that -
including bots like search engines, so don't just assume that interested
folks(!) will read this message and adjust.

> - can we develop using only metafiles (not boxer...I like text files)

Yes.  There are many approaches to develop a Debian Blend and a Debian
Pure Blend.  The Boxer approach is just the one I prefer.

> - how are configuration files added...we need to populate an /etc/skel
> directory and might want to do some configs in /etc itself

Content live in packages.  If content is needed which is not available
already in Debian, then packages containing that content needs to be
introduced to Debian.

I strongly recommend to *not* to introduce blend-specific content
packages if at all possible, but instead try hard to extend existing
packages or introduce new packages more flexible than specific blend
needs.

Also, it likely makes best sense to maintain packages *outside* of
blends - to help ensure that the packages are not blend-specific.

 - Jonas