[Blend-fluxbox-devel] administrative - Jan 7

Stephan Foley foley12723 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 20:59:23 UTC 2016

Hi Jonas and thanks for the reply.

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 12:30 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> Quoting Stephan Foley (2016-01-08 07:44:29)
>> Wiki page has been moved to https://wiki.debian.org/DebianFluxbox in
>> keeping with the wiki pages of other blends such as:
>>
>> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu
>> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianAstro
>
> I see no need for that, but as you wish.

My rationale is just that it looks a little more official and a good
calling card when showing others the project.

> If you haven't already, please consider adding a redirecing page at the
> old location, to serve those who have already bookmarked that -
> including bots like search engines, so don't just assume that interested
> folks(!) will read this message and adjust.

Yes, I left a forward address. Acutally, about the search engines, on
the new page I made sure to make links out to give them context when
they index it.

>> - can we develop using only metafiles (not boxer...I like text files)
>
> Yes.  There are many approaches to develop a Debian Blend and a Debian
> Pure Blend.  The Boxer approach is just the one I prefer.

OK...sorry, I am just being impatient and not sure of the best way to
develop. I am perfectly happy to follow along if that is the better
way to go.

>> - how are configuration files added...we need to populate an /etc/skel
>> directory and might want to do some configs in /etc itself
>
> Content live in packages.  If content is needed which is not available
> already in Debian, then packages containing that content needs to be
> introduced to Debian.

Can you tell me where this happens...for example, in the Debian/rules files.

> I strongly recommend to *not* to introduce blend-specific content
> packages if at all possible, but instead try hard to extend existing
> packages or introduce new packages more flexible than specific blend
> needs.
>
> Also, it likely makes best sense to maintain packages *outside* of
> blends - to help ensure that the packages are not blend-specific.

I am thinking we need /etc/skel for configs. Also, probably will
configure LightDM. The only outside software I would like to include
are the Adobe open source fonts.

Thanks again!

Steve