[Blend-fluxbox-devel] administrative - Jan 7

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon Jan 11 05:17:05 UTC 2016

Quoting Stephan Foley (2016-01-11 02:29:23)
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 12:30 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>> Quoting Stephan Foley (2016-01-08 07:44:29)
>>> - how are configuration files added...we need to populate an
>>> /etc/skel directory and might want to do some configs in /etc itself
>>
>> Content live in packages.  If content is needed which is not
>> available already in Debian, then packages containing that content
>> needs to be introduced to Debian.
>
> Can you tell me where this happens...for example, in the Debian/rules
> files.

I am happy to guide you in how Debian packages are created and
maintained - if you want to dive into that area.  But that is in my
opinion orthogonal to developing and maintaining a Blend.

I recommend to first do the best we can with existing packages in
Debian, and write down what is missing that we would like to be added.
Then later when we have surpluss time we can look at the wishlist and
(learn how to package and) create packages for those additional parts.

...or encourage others already skilled in packaging to do that: File RFP
bugreports for the parts we want which already exists as upstream code
projects, and regular bugreports against packages in Debian lacking the
needed flexibility in its configuration.

> I am thinking we need /etc/skel for configs.

Beware that skel files are applied only when initially creating an
account - accounts created before the package containing the skel files
are not affected, and updated to the skel files are not applied to
existing accounts either!

Better is to configure files in /etc, by filing bugreports against the
various packages shipping those configfiles.

> Also, probably will configure LightDM.

File bugreports against lightdm to improve in the ways needed for us.

> The only outside software I would like to include are the Adobe open
> source fonts.

Ok.  File RFP bugreports for the ones not already tracked.

 - Jonas