[Blend-fluxbox-devel] brainstorming

Stephan Foley foley12723 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 23:22:48 UTC 2016

Hi Denis and thanks for posting!

> First of all, we need to know what kind of use we want for this blend?
> A use for fluxbox 'fanboy' (like me) with many heavy tools on it like a
> popular web browser for example.
> A use for old machine with only lite tools?
> Or both? ^^
> What is the users need? (and is there a need?)

Personally, I think we should do two versions.

- small version for thin client environment
- full version development box

Small can be core and just deal with issues of sound, networking, etc.
Full can have more developer tools such as apache, mysql,
build-essential, etc.

I don't think we should get too hung up on which is the best web
browser, mail client or text editor and just choose basic ones with
the assumption that the user will upgrade if needed.

The smallest Debian desktop environment is Xfce, so I think there is a
need for a lighter weight WM. Fluxbox is not easy to install for a
typical user, so there is also a need there too.