[Blend-fluxbox-devel] brainstorming

arpinux contact at arpinux.org
Tue Jan 12 23:49:14 UTC 2016

On 13/01/16 00:22, Stephan Foley wrote:
> Hi Denis and thanks for posting!
>
>> First of all, we need to know what kind of use we want for this blend?
>> A use for fluxbox 'fanboy' (like me) with many heavy tools on it like a
>> popular web browser for example.
>> A use for old machine with only lite tools?
>> Or both? ^^
>> What is the users need? (and is there a need?)
>
> Personally, I think we should do two versions.
>
> - small version for thin client environment
> - full version development box
>
> Small can be core and just deal with issues of sound, networking, etc.
> Full can have more developer tools such as apache, mysql,
> build-essential, etc.
>
> I don't think we should get too hung up on which is the best web
> browser, mail client or text editor and just choose basic ones with
> the assumption that the user will upgrade if needed.
>
> The smallest Debian desktop environment is Xfce, so I think there is a
> need for a lighter weight WM. Fluxbox is not easy to install for a
> typical user, so there is also a need there too.

hi all :)

totally agree with Stephan : let's make the tiny blend-fluxbox, with the
minimum apps installed, just to make it work, but lighter as possible.
fluxbox can run on Debian with 60Mo RAM used, so it should be the
lighter desktop-blend on-line. if someone wants a full development
desktop, Debian already gives other very good targets (even
LXDE/OpenBox, very light too)
if you combine fluxbox + suckless-tools (st,dmenu,surf) + mutt, you can
work :D
more is bonus ;)

when the minimum is done and stable, we can wok on it and make all tests
and project we want :)
if blend-fluxbox includes more apps, it should be different than other
blends, just to propose something lighter (maybe nginx instead of apache
or things like that)

but i have to make an alioth account before...
see u guys :)