[Blend-fluxbox-devel] if it can help - livarp fluxbox session

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Jan 13 05:42:36 UTC 2016

Quoting arp via Stephan Foley
> yep, livarp was full'of'wm :D i stopped this project with Debian
> Jessie because of systemd adoption : as i didn't work with
> session-manager like gdm/kdm/lightdm, ansd don't want to, livarp was
> too complicated to maintain.

Do you then manually start Xorg as root from a terminal, or how?

> but i saw that you want to include lightdm by default (maybe with
> plymouth ? ) so your session will be ready for systemd :)

Plymouth provides ability for nice eye candy during bootup, but in my
(little) experimenting is slowing down bootup noticably, which makes me
not want to use it. But I am open to us including Plymouth - especially
if someone has found ways to make it relatively lightweight in the sense
that it doesn't slow down bootup too much.

> Fluxbox is quite easy to install and configure.
> but it lacks some features to be a real full desktop environment.
> so i think you plan to include others tools by default, to make fluxbox
> session more attractive and complete.
>
> so here are the 'fluxlinks' in livarp :
> - styles (very minimal)
> https://git.framasoft.org/livarp/livarp_04/tree/master/config/includes.chroot/usr/share/fluxbox/styles
> - fluxconfig for users
> https://git.framasoft.org/livarp/livarp_04/tree/master/config/includes.chroot/etc/skel/.fluxbox
> - fluxmenu python apps (i could make a package if you need)
> https://git.framasoft.org/livarp/livarp_04/tree/master/config/includes.chroot/usr/local/bin/fluxmenu_datas
> - fluxbox tools : some default apps to use with this wm and maybe some
> good apps to put in a DebianBlend targeting minimalism
> conky - suckless-tools - feh - ranger - lxappearance - dtrx...

Thanks. Concrete stuff is great!

> i'll be glad to help if needed. i know live-build pretty much ( dev of
> livarp and handylinux
> https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/HandyLinux ) and debian
> packaging as i maintain http://repo.handylinux.org i'm not a coder but
> i'm used with Debian tools :)