[Blend-fluxbox-devel] brainstorming

arpinux contact at arpinux.org
Wed Jan 13 19:05:03 UTC 2016

On 13/01/16 19:43, Stephan Foley wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 6:49 PM, arpinux <contact at arpinux.org>
> wrote:
>> fluxbox can run on Debian with 60Mo RAM used
>
> Question: when installing, should we look into "no recommends" for
> things like xorg and lightdm?

Hi :)
of course, the no-recommends option should be by default in apt
configuration and sysnaptic preferences as well.
this method avoid unecessary software but ask for more work on
packages choice. the easyest way to do is to list recommends packages
of each package included by default, to check if one should be
included too.
more time, but a package selection more precise.

>> when the minimum is done and stable, we can wok on it and make
>> all tests and project we want :) if blend-fluxbox includes more
>> apps, it should be different than other blends, just to propose
>> something lighter (maybe nginx instead of apache or things like
>> that)
>
> Installing nginx instead of apache is a great idea! Following you
> and Denis, one idea is to do something like Cruchbang and have a
> base install and then, on first boot, a pop up menu that gives
> configuration options..."do you want to install a LAMP stack",
> etc.

i've discovered crunchbang on the very begining, in Corenominal's blog
in december 2007 and started the crunchbang-fr adventure by editing
the french wiki, conky documentation, openbox customization etc...
so if you plan to crunchbangize a Debian FluxBox ... i'm with you !! :D

> BTW, do you guys know of http://www.slitaz.org/en/devel/ I always
> thought of it as an excellent distro and could be a good model.

never had contact with Slitaz dev team but yes, it's a very good light
distro.

++
arp