[Blend-fluxbox-devel] brainstorming

Stephan Foley foley12723 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 04:26:36 UTC 2016

Hi Denis, right now my thinking is we all get 25% vote, since there
are four of us, and Jonas gets veto power, since he set this up. My
goal is to get a consensus and I am open to discussion.

A big "what if" is who are the users and what do they want. That will
come later, so the safest bet is to work on a core install now and
hold off until later anything fancy.

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 5:40 PM, Denis Briand <debian at denis-briand.fr> wrote:

> IMHO this blend should be lite.
> With some basic tools for a desktop use:
> web, mail, music, video, chat, wifi...
> And basic office use also.

I totally agree here. Fluxbox flys because it has the minimalist
philosophy. We should respect this and offer a suite of basic apps you
listed above which also follow this philosophy (as much as possible).

I should add here a note about Debian. Debian is for the tech-savvy
sys admin user and server market...it is not Ubuntu. So we want to
appeal to them.

On the other hand, part of the reason we are developing this is for
thin client environments...for example students in a classroom
connected to a main servers.

So, we got a push and pull :-)

> No need gadgets or other graphical stuff
>         Users can add them
> No need to have development tools
>         Developpers can add them

We can hold off on this, but adding additional install options later
will broaden our base of support and doesn't have to interfere with
the core.

> This blend should be lite, quick  and sober like fluxbox.

Totally agree. And, I will add developing is a matter of taste...I've
heard a lot of famous programmers say this from Linus to the guys at
Bell labs who developed Unix and C. So, let's try to have great tastes
in what we do :-)

Steve