[Blend-fluxbox-devel] brainstorming

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Jan 15 21:38:08 UTC 2016

Quoting Denis Briand (2016-01-14 04:10:43)
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 04:36:51PM -0500, Stephan Foley wrote:
>> Thanks Denis, hey, do you want to outline what you see as the ideal
>> blend so we get your ideas on the table?
>
> IMHO this blend should be lite.
> With some basic tools for a desktop use:
> web, mail, music, video, chat, wifi...
> And basic office use also.
>
> No need gadgets or other graphical stuff
>         Users can add them

I disagree: I find it interesting to try identify which tools are
extremely lightweight, not only core ones but also touching wider
usecases.

I imagine a core system, with optional "feature packs" for multimedia
consumation, multimedia produce, office, coding, design etc. - whatever
we can identify sensible collections of tools for which are all as
lightweight as our core.

For parts we cannot identify similarly lightweight parts we simply let
our users pick other less lightweight tool collections - e.g. the
non-lightweight collections from design and multimedia blends.

> No need to have development tools
>         Developpers can add them

It does make sense to me to try identify stuff like an editor usable for
coding (e.g. with syntax hinglighting) for those not devoted to a
particular tool (emacs/vim) but wanting something similarly lightweight
as their desktop.

Personally I use console for editing, so cannot judge if leafpad or
mousepad (or something else?) is best.

> This blend should be lite, quick  and sober like fluxbox.

One way to achieve an even lighter desktop than Xfce or Lxde is by
avoiding (not only Qt and Mono, but also) GTK+ 3.x.

That means gksu is out, and also network-manager.  As replacement for
the latter, Wicd is a bad choice (not well maintained), but I was
recently suggested connman.  I have not tested it myself, but if some of
you have time then please do test that and tell if it seems good enough.

 - Jonas