[Blend-fluxbox-devel] brainstorming

Stephan Foley foley12723 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 02:02:51 UTC 2016

Hi Jonas,

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 4:16 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> Quoting Stephan Foley (2016-01-14 00:13:43)
>> Question: when installing, should we look into "no recommends" for
>> things like xorg and lightdm?
>
> No!  It is *not* sensible to blindly suppress recommends - Debian just
> isn't designed for that.  Each case needs to be considered individually!

The idea for suppressing recommends came up when I was on IRC talking
with a guy using Raspbian (Debian - Raspberry Pi). He was trying to
install X without all the nvidia drivers and using apt-get
--no-install-recommends it went from 250MB to 70MB.

Anyway, this is just an idea I am tossing around with the
ultra-minimalist contingent of our group :-)

If we were going to use no-recommends, we would have to list out the
recommends and figure out what each is for.