[Blend-fluxbox-devel] brainstorming

arpinux contact at arpinux.org
Sat Jan 16 02:12:41 UTC 2016

On 16/01/16 03:02, Stephan Foley wrote:
> Hi Jonas,
>
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 4:16 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk>
> wrote:
>> Quoting Stephan Foley (2016-01-14 00:13:43)
>>> Question: when installing, should we look into "no recommends"
>>> for things like xorg and lightdm?
>>
>> No!  It is *not* sensible to blindly suppress recommends - Debian
>> just isn't designed for that.  Each case needs to be considered
>> individually!
>
> The idea for suppressing recommends came up when I was on IRC
> talking with a guy using Raspbian (Debian - Raspberry Pi). He was
> trying to install X without all the nvidia drivers and using
> apt-get --no-install-recommends it went from 250MB to 70MB.
>
> Anyway, this is just an idea I am tossing around with the
> ultra-minimalist contingent of our group :-)
>
> If we were going to use no-recommends, we would have to list out
> the recommends and figure out what each is for.

Hi :)

i've always builded ISO with the no-recommends options but i made that
because i often mix applications from various desktop environment, so
i didn't want to have all the GNOME DE while installing file-roller
for instance.
but in other hand, if we choose independant applications, we don't
need to take care about the no-recommends option ;)

so, the best way to join our way or build, is to make the best choice
with the applications.
for instance, lxappearance is perfect for theming, but fluxbox can do
it itself ;)
tint2 is a good panel, but fluxbox has its own...
if we can cutomize the fluxbox default menu, most of regular actions
could be provide by dynamic menu entries :)

++
arp