[Bootcd-user] Re: (no subject)

Thomas Krennwallner djmaecki@ull.at
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:51:07 +0100

--G4iJoqBmSsgzjUCe

Hi!

On Tue Oct 28, 2003 at 12:09:42PM -0500, azajac@vif.com wrote:
> I am not at home so the script is something like:
[...]

Looks fine! Could you post the working script to the list? Maybe it's
worth at least to mention it in the FAQ. Maybe it's even a good way to
to include this way as default boot behaviour for initrd kernels.

> So this works if I pick scd0.  If I chose something else, it cannot
> find the root and panics...  I think that I should just include one
> isolinux option for a root directory and that would be either "/" (if
> I am allowed to do that) or "/mountpoint."

I'm sorry but I think I don't understand you. You say it only works for
scsi (or ide-scsi) devices?

> Right now, /mountpoint and /old exist both in the initrd filesystem as
> well as the real filesystem (which ends up on the cdrom)  Would this
> work if both of these directories only existed in the initrd?  I do
> not have a great enough understanding of the boot process to know...

Hm, good question. My understanding of pivot_root is that it tells the
kernel to use another mounted filesystem as new rootfs when the script
exits. This is a great advantage over the old real_root_dev approach in
earlier kernels because you had to echo the device minor and major
numbers(!) into a file called real_root_dev in the procfs of the initrd.

So my understanding of this is that you don't need to have the
directories in the root dir of the bootcd since the script runs in the
initrd and this fs end up in /initrd of the cdrom. But maybe I'm
completely wrong. Could you give it a try?

So long
Thomas

--=20
 .''`.  Obviously we do not want to leave zombies around. - W. R. Stevens
: :'  : Thomas Krennwallner <djmaecki at ull dot at>
`. `'`  1024D/67A1DA7B 9484 D99D 2E1E 4E02 5446  DAD9 FF58 4E59 67A1 DA7B
  `-    http://bigfish.ull.at/~djmaecki/

--G4iJoqBmSsgzjUCe

--G4iJoqBmSsgzjUCe--