[Bootcd-user] Is there a way to squeeze the entire ISO into memory?

Mark Clarkson markjclarkson@btinternet.com
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:05:37 +0000

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 06:33, thomas pinkerton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Nice work! I got a working bootable cd within a few minutes of playing
> around with bootcd. This is definately the answer for a lot of custom apps.
>
> Anyway, I would like to make a boot cd that is able to:
> 1) boot from the cd drive
> 2) copy ALL of the filesystem into a ramdrive
> 3) unmount the cd drive

Heavily modify the initrd to do all the above steps.

> 4) then burn information to a blank CD on the same CD Drive that it
> previously booted from

The [new] code for this would be in your newly mounted system.

> Is there a way to do this with bootcd?

I don't see bootcd being useful for this at all :(

All the smarts would be in the initrd for your requirements, then the
whole system will live in RAM (tmpfs) bypassing much of the bootcd
cleverness.

After fully loading a system with bootcd I think it would be a *very*
difficult task to move everything into RAM. (Nothing is impossible!)

> So far I have a very stripped down install that takes up only ~80-100 MB (no
> frills like X..., but I could probably make it even smaller)
> Is it as simple as altering the bootcd script to copy the other directories
> like /bin and /lib as well as the ones it already copies like /home and
> /tmp?  Then just do a pivot_root to the ramdrive or something?
>
> Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

Best Regards
Mark.