AW: [Bootcd-user] Syslogd is not on the image

Mark Clarkson markjclarkson@btinternet.com
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:51:51 +0000

Hi Jan,

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 16:21, Jan Kuemmerle wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response.

No problem.

> I downgraded to 2.39 today and generated a new image, without success. But
> on a freshly installed box it worked without problems. So there must be
> something wrong with the source system.

I agree.

> I cant stop thinking that someone tweaked the system, maybe with a
> root-kit, and that this is the reason for the problems. Just an idea. So I

Yep, it's always a worry these days, especially with always-on ADSL.

> started the system with a KNOPPIX-CD and checked the system with a root-kit
> scanner, and compared the md5sum of the syslogd with another system. Seem
> that everything is ok.
> What do you think?

syslogd has not been altered then, so long as you used the knoppix
md5sum and not the system one. This is what you said, but just to be
sure.

I really don't get why everything in sbin doesn't copy. I assume you're
using compression, so try turning COMPRESSION OFF so that mkisofs is in
charge of copying $SRCDIR/sbin. Hopefully you have space on cd/dvd to do
this; If not create an iso and loop mount that to check for syslogd.
If this doesn't work then something is definitely wrong with your
system. (and I would then try 'mkisofs -o bob.iso -R /sbin')

Also, try to make sure there are no errors when bootcd runs.

> I will change the bootcdwrite program over the weekend and extra command to
> copy the missing files. Not the best solution, but itll do it for the
> moment.

Good luck!

Cheers
Mark.

One tip: You may want to modify the ISO image after it has been made...
copy the cd to a directory:
  # mkdir ~/new_iso
  # cd /cdrom
  # find . | cpio -vpdum ~/new_iso
copy files into ~/new_iso directory, then write cd:
  # cd ~
  # mkisofs -o ./new.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat
-no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -R new_iso/